At Anglian we know it’s important to find the perfect windows for your home, after all, each house is unique. That’s why we individually design and craft windows using high grade timber and precision craftmanship, so your windows complement your home beautifully.
Our timber products come in hardwood and softwood. You decide on the timber choice, colour, wood finish and decorative elements, ensuring the product you get is the exact product you want.
We know what you’re thinking. What’s the difference between hardwood and softwood timber? We’ll give you a hint: it has nothing to do with weight (fun fact: balsa is a hardwood. But don’t worry – we don’t use it!).
To demystify all your wooden window questions, we’ll break down the basics between hardwood and softwood timber.
What’s the difference between hardwood and softwood timber?
Whether timber is hardwood or softwood all comes down to the timber’s origin. Each timber species is unique, and features a different texture, grain and density – all of which have their own list of benefits.
That’s why Anglian offers windows from a range of timber species. The timber species you choose will depend largely on your aesthetics and what you’re looking for from your windows.
- Naturally strong, high density, durable wood that withstands the weather
- Derived from slow growing broad leaved trees
- Hardwood window frames are available in painted or stained finish
- Responsibly-sourced from Sapele (West Africa), Meranti (East Malaysia) and Agba (West Africa) trees
- Generally does not require additional preservative treatments
- Strong natural resistance to warping and shrinking.
- Versatile wood, commonly used for windows, doors, furniture and in the construction industry
- Derived from fast growing cone bearing trees
- Treated with a double vacuum preserve system, to protect against the weather
- Softwood window frames – available in painted finish only
- Responsibly-sourced from European Pine and Siberian Larch (area stretching between Siberia to Mongolia and northern China) trees
- Softwood window frames are laminated and finger jointed for strength
- Easier to work with and generally features a fine, uniform texture.
Why choose timber windows?
Timber windows have a classic traditional look and are a popular choice for period homes and conservation areas. Whether they’re sourced from a hardwood or softwood species, they’re also precisely-joined and especially long-lasting.
All of Anglian’s hardwood or softwood windows are expertly finished with our three-coat system to prevent against flakes and cracks. There are even options to choose different finishes on the inside and outsides of your windows.
Need more convincing? Here are our top seven reasons to choose timber windows:
- All Anglian wooden windows are sustainably-sourced from Forest Stewardship Council timber.
- Our wooden windows are available in wooden casement, flush wooden casement, sliding sash, bay, and cottage window styles and can be customised in seven painted and two stained finishes.
- Anglian’s timber windows come double glazed as standard, which means they’ll help reduce your heating bills by sealing in more heat.
- They’re fitted with advanced safety and security features to give you peace of mind.
- The timber is weather-sealed, which means it won’t rot, warp or shrink.
- Timber A rated windows give you a sound protection level rating of 31db as standard to keep the inside noise in and the outside noise out.
- All of our windows come with a 10-year guarantee, so you’re getting the best for years to come.
In short, you can’t really go wrong with timber windows. Hardwood or softwood, they’re versatile, durable and pretty good-looking, too.
Still haven’t made up your mind between hardwood and softwood windows? Schedule an appointment with one of our design experts – we’ll find you the perfect style for your window frame wood type and achieve cost and energy savings too.
Or visit your nearest Anglian showroom to see samples of our hardwood and softwood double glazed windows today.